Sunday, February 26, 2017

Turner Classic Movies March 2017

I'm dialing down a bit on my recommendations, suggesting mostly films I have not recently suggested or that are new to TCM. 

On March 3 is Jacques Demy's extraordinary Young Girls of Rochefort from 1967, something of an American-influenced French musical, with Gene Kelly in the cast,music by Michel Legrand and lyrics by Demy himself.

On the 5th is Carl Th. Dreyer's Gertrud from Denmark in 1964.  What could be more cinematic than people talking,mostly about love?

There are a number of films by Nicholas Ray on the 7th and 8th, with his impressive uses of color and widescreen and on the 12th is Edgar Ulmer's low-budget and intense film noir Detour (1945).

On the 20th is Michael Powell's Peeping Tom (1960), a brilliant movie that was so offensive to some that Powell was practically ridden out of England on a rail.

Of course I will be happy to give my opinions on any other films; just send me an e-mail.  See my entry from last month for a list of  directors.

No comments:

Post a Comment