Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Turner Classic Moves Feb. 2017

During Feb. and early March TCM is doing "31 Days of Oscar," in other words, a lot of lousy movies.  I have stated many times that I find the Oscars bogus and dubious.  However, TCM intelligently also includes some pretty good films that were nominated but did not win.  This month there is almost nothing that I have not recommended before so I will simply say that one cannot go wrong watching the films in February with the following directors:  Otto Preminger, John Huston, Preston Sturges, John Ford, Howard Hawks, Raoul Walsh, Alfred Hitchcock, Orson Welles, Douglas Sirk, John Stahl, Vincente Minnelli, Nicholas Ray, Budd Boetticher, Billy Wilder, Anthony Mann, Leo McCarey, Joseph Mankiewicz, Blake Edwards, George Cukor and Max Ophuls.  I also recommend the musicals of Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, the best of which were directed by Mark Sandrich.

I hope to be back listing particular films in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment