Sunday, April 26, 2020

ballet in the plague year

I've already written about the performance of Balanchine's Jewels in Munich (March 26) and I am pleased to see that the New York City Ballet will be showing digital performances during their canceled Spring season, for which we had tickets for two matinees, both all-Balanchine:  Kammermusik #2, Concerto Barocco and Vienna Waltzes on one date and, on another, Donizetti Variations and Tschaikovsky Piano Concerto #2, all wonderful ballets that I was very much looking forward to.  

Certainly a ballet on tape will never come anywhere near a live performance, but I will get a chance to see some of the newer ballets that I was not able (or especially willing) to see, some of which I may want eventually to see live.  So far I have seen Christopher Wheeldon's This Bitter Earth, a pas de deux from Five Movements, Three Repeats and Justin Peck's Rotunda. The Wheeldon was intensely emotional, to the music of Dinah Washington singing This Bitter Earth (written by Clyde Otis), and the Peck was at least energetic, to a commissioned score by Nico Mulhy. Next week will be two works by Balanchine:  Apollo and Ballo della Regina.

No comments:

Post a Comment