Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Brad Bird's Incredibles 2

I would recommend Incredibles 2 only if one wants a headache and nausea.  This animated adventure of a family of superheroes has all the confusion of bad science fiction (it's unclear even what super powers the superheroes have, much less their limitations) and even the contemporary idea of a stay-at-home father is mishandled to the point of absurdity and condescension (the baby catches on fire, turns into a demon, etc.).  The film seems to be attempting to be more "realistic" looking, in which case one might ask why use animation at all.  I do not think that I am a "resolute animation hater and congenital sourpuss," as Todd McCarthy says in The Hollywood reporter, just because I think there is more humor and beauty in Chuck Jones's seven-minute hand-drawn What's Opera, Doc? than in all 126 minutes of  the computer-generated images of Incredibles 2.

One thing I would like explained is why established actors --Holly Hunter, Bob Odenkirk, et. al. --  are hired to do the voices of animated characters, causing one to "see" the actor instead of the character.  Are there those who buy tickets because they want to hear an actor's voice at the expense of the illusion?  I hope Film Forum will open again soon so I can go to a theatre to see a real movie, instead of just cartoons, live-action or animated.

No comments:

Post a Comment