Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Turner Classic Movies June 2018

The emphasis on TCM in June is the musical, as TCM and Ball State University are offering a free course on the subject.  I am taking the course and I recommend it, since the previous three courses (film noir, comedy, Hitchcock) have been excellent.  I tend to be director-oriented and the musical is generally not (with the exceptions of Vincente Minnelli and possibly Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly) so I am looking forward to the course.  Musicals are shown on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I like, of the ones I know:  Lubitsch's The Love Parade and King Vidor's Hallelujah, both from 1929 and showing on June 5; Lubitsch's The Merry Widow (1934) and Mark Sandrich's Shall We Dance (1937), with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, on June 7; and three by Minnelli:  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) on June 12, Bandwagon (1953) on the 19th, Bells are Ringing (1960) on the 20th.

Otherwise I like John Ford's Sergeant Rutledge (1960) and Otto Preminger's Advise and Consent (1962) on June 9, Douglas Sirk's ironic soap opera All That Heaven Allows (1955) on June 10, and Anthony Mann's historic film noir The Black Book (1949, cinematography by John Alton) on June 22.

No comments:

Post a Comment