Tuesday, February 27, 2018

New York Yankees 2018

One thing I am sure of this year is that I will not be watching any Yankee games on TV with the sound on; the return of the pompous and bombastic Michael ("wins is an irrelevant statistic") Kay guarantees that.  He has been touting the homerun duo of Stanton and Judge as the return of Ruth and Gehrig.  I beg to differ:  aside from the inherent boredom of home runs it is unfortunately true that both Gehrig and Ruth hit for average; Ruth's lifetime average was .342 and Gehrig's was .340, while the respective numbers for Judge and Stanton are .270 and .268.  It seems to me that the extremes of strikeouts and homeruns are going to continue to dominate.

The key questions are new manager Aaron Boone and the starting rotation:  we have no idea of what Boone will be like as a manager -- he did not impress me as an announcer for ESPN -- and the starting rotation depends on Tanaka and Sabathia (assuming they can stay healthy) and the bullpen is shaky at best.  I do like the youngsters, especially Gregorius and Bird, and I do wish the Yankees the best but most of my attention, at least at the beginning, will be on the Mets, who at least don't have a  designated hitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment