Saturday, February 28, 2015

Turner Classic Movies in March

 Now that March is almost here and I am rather on the mend it is time to get back to some of my regular postings.  (For the record, my post about my ballet performance was January 19th and the one about being hit by a motorcar was Feb. 23).

March 1.  Mark Sandrich's Shall We Dance? (1937).  My favorite of the Rogers/Astaire musicals: elegant dancing, lovely music, beautiful comedy.

March 5.  Mark Robson's The Seventh Victim (1943).  The eeriest of Val Lewton's low-budget horror films.

March 11.  Otto Preminger's Bunny Lake is Missing (1965).  A neglected film of extraordinary visual style, in wide-screen black-and-white.

March 12 and 28. Raoul Walsh's They Died With Their Boots On (1941).  A fascinating film about George Armstrong Custer, as mythopoeic as they come.

March 20.  Samuel Fuller's Park Row (1952).  A film about the early days of newspapers, full of passion and feeling.

March 21.  Anthony Mann's Man of the West (1958).  About the last days of the West, and the classical Western.

March 22.  Vincente Minnelli's Some Came Running.  A great Minnelli melodrama about the hypocrisies of small towns, with a powerful Elmer Bernstein score.

And, as always, I recommend any movies by Hitchcock, Lang, Ford, King Vidor.  And don't be afraid to try something you have never heard of:  you can always e-mail me and I'll let you know if I've seen it and/or what I may know about it

No comments:

Post a Comment