Tuesday, July 22, 2014

MoMA (continued) and Making Your Dissatisfaction Known

My post on July 11 mentioned my frustration at MoMA for showing Bergman's film of The Magic Flute with the overture missing.  So I wrote a letter of complaint to Charles Silver at MoMA's film department and was quite surprised to receive a letter of apology with free passes to MoMA and an offer of a private screening of the film! He takes full blame for "not being more thorough" in checking the film and said that the reels were mislabeled and the final reel was the overture.  What he conspicuously does not say was whether the screenings on July 10 and 11 were corrected to include the overture (we were there on July 9).  I would have said something to someone at the time of our screening but there is no mechanism at MoMA for such complaints, nor are e-mail addresses of MoMA staff members available on their web site.  I hope at least this will cause the staff at MoMA to check prints of films more carefully.

I also made my dissatisfaction known at our daughter's daycare when they canceled dance classes over the summer, classes she was thoroughly enjoying.  They listened to me and said they would continue with the classes if they could get a minimum number of participants.  They succeeded and classes were resumed! It sometimes pays to speak your mind (always in a courteous way, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment